Tuesday, December 27, 2005

They don't make em like they used to (paca)

So, with this whole raising a 2 year old thing, I am coming to know cartoons quite well. OK, not like the manga-adult-swim people who can give cartoon trivia like sports fans give baseball trivia. But in a recent linguistics article they were using various characters from cartoons and children's shows to perform an experiment and the article decided to add a little parenthetical comment on who Baby Bop was. Well, I need no such comments. I know who B.J. and Baby Bop are. I know who Dora is and I can name a tank engine other than Thomas.

Anyway, N and I have been buying some old cartoons for $1 or so for B, because, well, they are $1. I think it is safe to say that these cartoons wouldn't be made anymore. First, we have some old ones from the 30s and 40s, such as one where the teacher drop kicks the lamb as hard as she can out of the the school one day. There's also an early Looney Tunes where Porky the Pig is being annoyed by a cat singing late at night. Porky gets his gun and at one point declares to the cat with the gun poking into his chin "I'm gonna blow your head off!" Later in the cartoon he does. The head stays on, but Porky shoots the cat whose 9 ghosts then sing a farewell song. We also purchased Kimba the White Lion, which as I just looked up, appears to be a Japanese cartoon from the early 60s made/adapted for NBC. It plays now as sort of a prelude to the Lion King or more accurately the Lion King is a rip-off of Kimba. Kimba is the son of a mighty king of the lions who tries to maintain order between humans and all animal-kind. Kimba had a million names in his history, but was even once called Simba until they discovered the name had been copyrighted, so they switched the S with a K. Kimba's father is killed and Kimba has to come back to lead the animals again. He even has a wise baboon as a friend. I'm about to start singing Elton John tunes. Anyway, the first episode is a light affair with both Kimba's dad being shot and his mom drowining in a sea wreck. In our other episode, episode iv, Kimba has to decide whether or not to allow the animals to kill some domesticated pack mules for food, which his father allowed, or not. Kimba goes off to search for guidance, so his friends try to help him out. How? Well, it turns out Kimba's dad's skin is a rug on the floor of some hunters' cabin. So the baboon, gazelle, and parrot go to steal the skin. They then wear it and pretend to be Kimba's dad's ghost. Kimba figures it out pretty soon and the friends say they were just attempting to help. All I can say is that if I am ever uncertain about something, please do not take the skin of my dead father and wear it while you talk to me. It won't go over very well.

No comments: