Thursday, April 13, 2006

Apple Crepes

I have a Russian, Polish, and German cookbook, which has a recipe for apple pancakes in it. They are really crepes with an apple filling. I am fond of the recipe and make it more than I should. Below is the version before I started the diet. The main difference is all purpose flour. Last weekend I made them with whole wheat flower and they were just fine.
You slice up some apples as thinly as you can. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (I used Splenda last week and that was fine) and I like to add almonds or craisins and such.



Next up is the crepes. Flour, milk, butter. Pretty much it. You put oil in the pan and make it nice and hot. The key to get a thin crepe is to not put much batter and rotate it around the bottom of the pan. Use a fork to turn up the sides and keep things moving. It shouldn’t take more than a minute to make a crepe. I was keeping them warm in the oven here.


Then you just wrap it up and, when not on a diet, add a bit of powdered sugar or whipped cream. Invite Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf over and you are set. Notice the fantabulous art of presentation here with the apples along the sides and on top? That’s just for you guys.



No comments: