Friday, April 14, 2006

Na na na boo boo (paca)

I still remember just a couple years back when I got one of those email chains which included the information that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the Alphabet song were to the same tune. I, like most Americans, have been singing those songs when since I was 2 or 3. How could I never have noticed that they were the same song with different words? (It's true. Go ahead and sing them. I'll wait. Done?) Well, I was just reading an old book, OK 1975 isn't THAT old, about English intonation and it was talking about the "Children's Chant." The Children's Chant is that tune kids use when they go "na na na na na." Try it. If you didn't think of the tune, imagine that you are 8 years old again and making fun of someone. Getting there? Now try singing, "Janie's got a boyfriend." How about "Paca's feet are smelly." OK, know the tune? Now sing "ring around the roses, pocket full of posies." Same silly thing! Now, do "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring."

Did you ever know that? I didn't.

5 comments:

-E said...

baa baa black sheep is also the same tune as twinkle twinkle/abc

where is thumbkin is the same tune as frere jacque/are you sleeping.

i know a lot of kids songs, if i think of anymore, i'll let you know...

-E said...

oh and it's: nana nana boo boo or nany nany boo boo... or at least in my vernacular

-E said...

a tisket a taset a green and yellow basket...
that one just came to me at lunch today

pacatrue said...

Yeah, you are right. So we've got Twinkle Twinkle, ABC, and Baa Baa Black Sheep all with the same tune. Then there's na na na boo boo, a tisket a tasket, and ring around the rosey all with the same melody. And I thought kids were creative. Maybe it's their parents who couldn't come up with anything new. After all, there's always "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" and that violent one that people don't like so much now to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic. I am blanking on the first bit, but it has "teacher hit me with the ruler, met her at the door with a loaded 44 and she ain't my teacher no more." I remember singing this a lot as a kid. I wonder if it is banned nowadays.

-E said...

well, half of the good church hymns are to the tune of old drinking songs. or at least that is what one of my rel. teachers told me in regards to the hymns the wesley bros wrote.

i already knew about the abc/baa/twinkle link but i didn't realize about the frere/thumbkin one till my son started day care. the older kids sing grace and it took me a while to figure the out what the tune was. at first i thought thumbkin, and it took me months to hear frere jacque in it too.

i recently got 2 cd's from canada of kids songs. they are really good, but so far i haven't noticed any repeats... well, some of them are in english and french, but we won't count those.

why am i the only one who comments on these kinds of blog enteries?