Sunday, May 07, 2006

Laconia Corporation (paca)

For some random reason this morning (one of those long chains of thought where you end up in some place seemingly unrelated to where you started), I was thinking about my older bro's band, Laconia Corporation. I carry instruments around, playing one for 6 months, but never really get around to actually playing anything. I think the highlight of my intrument playing life was at a company party when a bunch of us put together a band. I joined one year but wasn't really able to play anything. The second year, there were fewer guitarists, so I actually had to do something. I remember being on stage during the picnic, playing the rhythm guitar riff for U2's Where the Streets Have No Name and I distinctly heard Ruth, who had played bass the year before, say something like, "paca's been practicing." That was awesome.

Hm. Somehow this ended up about me rather than about my brother.

Anyway, my brother has actually been recording with a friend of his since high school, off and on, which according to their band web site started in 1983. Geez, he's old. I wasn't in 9th grade until 1986. They've recorded a bunch of albums by pressing play on the tape recorder and doing something. I think he, his friend, and me are the only owners of these albums, though the llama has heard them. However, in 1998 and 2000, they spent tons of money on digital multitrack recorders and such and put some serious production effort into something. The results were two albums Petroglyph and, believe it or not, Still Life with Llamas. However, I just re-read the notes and indeed this is a different llama than our beloved killer llama. In fact, it is a reference to the guitarist's girlfriend, in college perhaps, who I do not believe was our llama. Anyway, if you are interested, the link to their web site is:

Laconia Corporation

There are lots of sample downloads here, but they appear non-functional. Therefore the only place you can hear the tunes is:

CD Baby

I recommend trying Green-Tinted Glasses. One thing about the music is that it is the most 80s sounding thing I have heard since, uhhh, the 80s. It's like all those English pop-new-wave bands that weren't manly enough for me when I was 12. Think Alphaville, Howard Jones, and OMD (Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark). It think it's just all the treble and echoing in the production. It also sounds nothing like the music they did in the 80s.

I will also reveal that the llama and I at 11 had a tribute band to my brother, who would have been 16. You see, my brother's first tune was "Latin" to the tune of Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages" (oobin gleebin gloutin glotin, or whatever). The llama and I had "Bandin' Bait" to the tune of "Latin". We had two other tunes. "Heathcliff" which was my lyrics on top of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll" and "Garfield" which was the llama's pure original - lyrics and tune. I should add that neither of us played any instruments. It was mouth guitar. A few years back, after my realization that my lyrics were horrible but that I had lots of musical ideas in my head, I had llama send me some lyrics to a couple songs. But I was lame and never put them to music as I said I would do. I am the one who asked him for the lyrics. Kind of like I was supposed to do the music for a short film of his when he was in film school in Nashville. I never got around to that either. Noticing a trend? If that ABC Meme had a "worst trait" part, this would have been a prime candidate.

No comments: