Thursday, June 08, 2006

Threesomes (paca)

I've created my own meme. Feel free to adopt and change as you please. So here you go:

3 Ways I am a stereotypical father:
(insert mother, son, spouse, relation of choice here)
- I insist on believing that my wife knows the exact location of every single object in the household at all times, even if it is something only I have ever used. "Honey, where's that paper I wrote 9 years ago when you lived in a different state?"
- I have no idea what I am doing the majority of the time. "How do we get him to not panic about going potty? I don't know. How do we get him to sit at the table without a fight? I don't know. How do we fix the curtain rod? I don't know."
- I cannot, cannot!, handle it if the refrigerator door is open 3 seconds longer than absolutely necessary. This does not prevent me from using it as a nightlight when I get a drink of water at 2:00 AM.

3 Things I'd like to hear:
- "Dr. Paca?" To which I would reply, "Please just call me paca."
- "The firm of Brilliant and Southern announced the new 'eat cornbread smothered in butter and honey every day with a big bowl of chicken 'n' dumplins diet' on Monday. Studies indicate the more dumplins, the bigger the muscles."
- Overheard on the street, "Have you read paca's new book? I got it last weekend at Borders."

3 Things I'd like to be able to say:
"I won't post on Thursday because I'm going to Vietnam. Be back Saturday."
"Can you do a second verse with the trumpet here? And up the levels on the bass."
"I'm saving money."

3 Debates that shouldn't be a matter of left versus right
- Climate change models. Sure, how to deal with possible climate change should reflect political values. but whether or not the models are accurate has nothing to do with your views on the role of government.
- Is wiretapping without warrants illegal? Your political views should certainly affect whether or not it should be legal, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it is currently legal.
- Flag burning. I just think this is a matter of free speech and should fall under both conservative and liberal philosophies. No side gets to own issues of free speech.

3 People I have been smitten with in my life (embarassing or not):
(your partner, gf, mother, best friend are ruled out to keep it more fun. Yes, of course, I'm smitten with my wife. Hence, the marriage thing.)
- Christy Brinkley I remember a discussion in the school room cafateria in maybe 3rd grade, when I was 7, about who was prettier, Christy Brinkley or Cheryl Tiegs. What's weird is that I very much remember thinking girls were icky until puberty. How did I know these two weren't so icky?
- Laetitia Casta – she's a model, or was, who was most often seen in Victoria's Secret catalogues. I became smitten with her sometime in the mid 90s when N was in Seattle and I in TN. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- Heather Thomas – OK, this is just embarassing now. When I was 12 and in 8th grade at boarding school, I covered my walls in bikini, car, and beer posters. I don't remember any of the posters much anymore, but I had two of Heather Thomas. She may have been on The Fall Guy. One poster was that picture I linked to. Hard to imagine I ever found that attractive.

3 Things I wish were true:
- When trying to solve problems, people would state the problem clearly, gather evidence together for what causes it, debate the best way to implement a solution, and then test whether or not the solution works.
- I could express myself clearly when face-to-face with someone.
- I knew how to better balance work, family, and play.

3 Things I wish were false.
- I am afraid of flying. I have finally admitted it to myself, so it will be interesting to get on the plane to Montreal next week. It's very strange that this has happened. I've flown regularly since I started boarding school, earned probably a couple hundred thousand miles over time, been to Asia twice and Europe a couple more; I know the stats on safety. But it seems to be the case regardless.
- I've never published anything. It's not just publish or perish in academia. It's publish or never get hired.
- B is not potty trained. He's making progress but still not there. It doesn't stress me out, because I know he will get there, but it would be great if it was done. Good news is that I know I will get on the plane, I will publish, and B will be potty trained.

I had more, but I need to be working. See above.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Pioneering Idea to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 20 Pounds in Only 21 Days!