Friday, August 04, 2006

This is embarassing (paca)

A small quote from an AP News report about the current senatorial campaign in Tennessee, where Frist is giving up his seat. They are mostly talking about the Republican primary, because it is hotly contested, while the Democratic side is not. The quote:

"The winner will most likely face Rep. Harold Ford (news, bio, voting record) Jr., who has no serious Democratic primary opposition and is hoping to become the first black U.S. senator elected in the South since Reconstruction."

No, the South doesn't have a problem in race relations at all. Nope. Nada. Those are the old days, not the New South. To do the math, I am going to guess the South includes 10 states.* A senate campaign will happen every six years for two candidates each. Since I am too lazy to look it up, let's go with 1880 as the end of Reconstruction. 2006 - 1880 gives us 126 years. 126/6 = 21 senate campaigns per office. 21 x 10 x 2 = 420 chances at electing a single black person to the Senate. 0 out of 420.

If we want to go with 1964 as the passage of the Civil Rights Voting Act, that gives us 2006-1964 = 42 years, which equals 7 elections. 7 x 10 x 2 = 140 chances.

But I am sure it's just a lack of good candidates....

* LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Wow. As a Southerner, I'm appalled. I knew the numbers were bad, but I had no idea they were that bad.

*Thanks for the comment you left me on my blog. I'll be sure to let you know if I find a publisher for my book.

pacatrue said...

Thanks for stopping by Annie. For the record, I am/was a southerner as well (Louisiana / Mississippi / Tennessee have been called home), so I am making fun of my own home as well.

Anonymous said...

and if u ever want to dicuss this futher, remember ur sis here who has a degree in southern studies with a history focus, i could recomend some reading of anyone is intrested too.

court