Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Day In The Life (Llama)

KBox responded to an email that I sent out with the comment that she liked blog entries that talked about everyday affairs. Given my general dryness of life these days, and my renewed commitment to avoiding political issues that I cannot impact, everyday affairs is just about all I have to share. So, rather than just keep quiet, here's a bit of what I do every day.

My job is quite relaxed as far as work schedule goes. I can show up pretty much anytime and go home pretty much anytime. Usually I wake up between 7:30 and 8:00, though if I've stayed out late that could push to 8:30 or even 9:00. I go home between 4:30 and 6:00. So I tend to work an 8 hour day. Rarely do I stay longer.

For breakfast, its milk and cereal. Usually a muesli of some brand, though last week I was enjoying honey-flavored wheat biscuits. About 1/2 the time it seems I'm either out of milk, out of cereal, or running late, in which case I'll wait till I get to the office before purchasing a couple of personal boxes of Corn Flakes, some milk and yogurt. That costs about $1.50. I'll pour them into a super-sized coffee mug that belongs to Vi (when she's here) and munch at my desk.

Work usually involves me working on something computer related. These days I'm updating my software to fix bugs and implement suggestions from the Bangladeshies, or building an Access database that contains all of the survey data from all of our countries with completed data sets... Thailand, Bangladesh, China, Vietnam, and the Philippines.

Go to lunch around 12 or 12:30. We have a few spots around the neighborhood we frequent. But our most popular destination is this outdoor seafood place called "La Mer." We don't call it that, though. We call it Versaces. You see, there's a ton of tailors around this area that will make you a suit or two for $99. Some of them pattern themselves, or at least their name, after famous fashion designers. One of those places exists on the corner of Sukhumvit Rd. and Sukh. Soi 7. This fellow has a huge sign out front that reads "Versaces" (not "Versace", mind you). Our lunchtime restaurant is just about 50 feet down the soi from this sign.

"La Mer" is not the only restaurant at Versaces. It's an outdoor food center, in a way. There's 5 or 6 independent restaurants, all sharing the same seating area, and each one fixing pretty much the same stuff. We stick to "La Mer" because we are friends with the serving staff... this one girl in particular, named Paew (pronounced "Bow", as in "bow wow"). Lunch runs about $2.50.


Whether we eat at Versaces or not, lunch ends anywhere between 1 and 2. A 2 hour lunch is not unheard of, which is nice. Then back to the office. I may stop off to buy strawberry/bannana smoothie on the way back for about $1. Then work the rest of the afternoon.

What happens after work ends varies. Yesterday I stayed around the office till 7:00, playing "Stubbs the Zombie" (it's an OK game, not great though). I had to call my student loan provider and extend my deferment till January, when I can finally start paying it off. I have to commend The Total Higher Education Loan people... they have always been extremely helpful and friendly. So I talked to them and got the extension... I just have to fax in some paperwork. Paid some more bills online, then went home about 7:30. I had some fried rice with chinese sausage and huge fruit salad for dinner ($2.50). Sat down with a glass of white wine and watched two episodes of Entourage on HBO. Then, about 9:00, I crawled into bed with book 9 of The Wheel of Time. Read for about 90 minutes, then lights out.

And that's my day!

Thupt!

4 comments:

kristybox said...

Now that, my dear, is what I call a blog! Thanks. ;)

Oh, and I need to know a recipe for a REAL Thai drink. By tomorrow. Know one?

Killer Llama said...

Alchoholic or not?

Killer Llama said...

The most authentic Thai drink that I regularly consume is a cold frosty bottle of Chang beer. Apart from that, the most authentically Thai drink I know is Thai tea. I've never made it and I only drink it occassionally, but here's a pretty good looking website devoted to it:

http://www.blueray.com/thaitea/index.html

Anonymous said...

Thai coffee is really good too. IT is basically an iced latte with condensed milk instead of regular milk. It makes it really good, sugary and creamy
Beth