Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Simple green curry (paca)

A week or two ago I had some random vegetables I wanted to use up, and, suddenly, I remembered that I had a can of coconut milk. Here's a really easy Thai-esque green curry that I though was really yummy, if I do say so myself. It's simple, but you do have to have a kitchen which has these ingredients lying around.

Take some sort of medium sized pan and line it with aluminum foil.

Preheat the oven to 400. Chop up some onion, green onion, carrot, zucchini (julienned is best, but whatever really), and a can of mushrooms and toss them all in. Add some chopped up meat. I had a piece of salmon (fillet), which I plopped in. Beef, chicken, and tofu should work. Dump a can of coconut milk over everything. Add some broth. Chicken or beef or vegie. Like a third to a half a cup. It should get close to covering everything, but not be a soup. Get a couple teaspoons of a Thai curry paste that you can find now in a lot of grocery stores - at least Tennessee had it - put it in and stir it around. Ideally, you'd toss in some stems of fresh basil here and some lemongrass. Those are good, but I didn't have them, and you'll be OK. Put some more aluminum foil on top to seal and then bake it for a half hour or so. Probably be good to stir once about half way through.

It'll be good. It functions kind of like a stew or gumbo. You can toss in whatever vegies and meats you have around. The coconut milk and curry paste will conquer all.

1 comment:

Christopher Robin said...

Wow, that sounds really simple and tasty. I may just have to see if I can find some cury paste and coconut milk tonight. Thanks for sharing.