Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Quick Hits 634-5789

1) It looks like I have a new continuation over at EE. Again, I'm doing the continuation, not the original.

2) Here's the 634-5789 reference in case it's not immediate for you. And because it's me and I can't help myself. Here's Mustang Sally, Everybody needs somebody, In the Midnight Hour, a studio version of Land of 1000 Dances, and a looser live version. All sung by Mr. Wilson Pickett.

3) We got our first nativity set for B and it was opened up today. I don't think B quite has the story down yet. Right now apparently the Nativity Story involves B grabbing the two boxes of presents from the three kings and taking off into the other room. We are then supposed to grab another character - Mary, a camel, a wise man - and chase after B saying, "Give them back! Those presents are for the baby!" He finds this hysterical. I was doing different characters chasing after the stolen presents and (perhaps with Evil Editor inspiration) found myself making Joseph into a zombie going after B. That was a little over the top for me, so I toned it back down. Later as N was cooking dinner B had the baby Jesus and an angel going down the stable roof as a slide. I kept thinking we were going to end up doing the Nativity X-Games. The Wise Kings doing some dune surfing. You get the idea.

We didn't.

4) Nina Simone started doing this Gershwin tune from Porgy and Bess in the 50s. Her live version transforms the song into something you didn't know it could be. Here she is again in 1962. The main part of the song starts about 1:00 in.
Nina Simone - I Love You Porgy - 1962

No comments: