Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Rock of Ages (paca)

Earlier tonight I heard a neighbor's car go squealing out of their driveway blasting The Scorpions' Rock You Like a Hurricane. "Man, that's a guy living in the past," I thought. It made me think about the Pontiac Fiero. That's the car llama wanted when we were 9. I wanted the Toyota MR2, as I recall. That's if I couldn't have the uber cool Chevy Z28 Camaro. Then I thought, "hey, you can't make fun of him. You're posting videos from the 60s and getting all nostalgic." Then I said to myself, "But it's not MY past I'm reliving. I wasn't even alive in the 60s." Then the men in whitecoats came.

If you too would like to relive middle school or high school or elementary school (or your children's school), here are some YouTube links to early 80s glam rock.

Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions



This next one I really liked when I was a kid. Def Leppard - Rock of Ages. That was always the quintessential Def Leppard song. Pour Some Sugar on Me** was nothing. There's a long family history with this tune. My older brother - coolest guy on earth - formed a band in high school called Trent and the Magnum Flash. My brother was Trent the lead singer. The Flash was his still best friend who played the guitar. And Magnum played the drums, better known as two pencils on the table next to the cassette player. They recorded a parody of Rock of Ages called "Latin" with lyrics like:

"I love Cicero
You bet ya
Long live Cicero

...

We've got the cases
got the endings
just take the courses
and you can learn it too!

You too!"

Well, how amazing is that, no?

So the llama and I had our own band. Joe and the Bad People. We had llama on mouth guitar, me with pencils (I think), and we took turns singing. I was Joe. Llama was "Ugly" and one of us was Ugly Jr., but I'm blanking on who. We sung "Bandin' Bait" which was our version of Latin. I can't remember the lyrics at all anymore, but it was only four lines. You can guess their high quality from the fact that "bandin" isn't even a word.

Anyway, the video.

Deff Leppard - Rock of Ages



And here are just some more videos from the era.

Ratt-Round and Round



Quiet Riot - Bang Your Head



Poison - I want action



Actually, even at that age, I thought Poison looked pretty dumb. The videos (other than Rock of Ages) that I did love were all the ZZ Top ones. I still listen to the little old band from Texas on a pretty regular basis. Being me, it's mostly the 70s stuff. However, my addiction to 80s MTV would not be complete without some ZZ videos. I once went to visit my uncle in Austin around 11 or so and he kept wanting to take me out to, you know, do things. Go swimming at Barton Springs (cold!!), see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at UT, eat ice cream. I only wanted to stay inside and watch videos like these:

ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man



ZZ Top - Legs



ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin



ZZ Top - TV Dinners



By the way, if you ever work for a computer company in the late 90s and there's a ZZ Top concert in town, don't send an email to your 22-23 year old co-workers asking if anyone would like to go. Apparently, that's a huge fashion faux pas. ZZ Top is not cool to such a group. I guess Nine Inch Nails or something would've been alright, but apparently not ZZ. However, if you are ever getting beat up on as a typical liberal on a conservative southern blog, that is the time to mention you have every ZZ album. Instant creds right there. I was immediately switched from crazy wacko to guy who's alright despite mistaken beliefs. Works kind of like football but better.

**OK, this cracks me up. The last memory I have of seeing the Pour Some Sugar on Me video is on my dorm TV in 10th grade or so in 1987. But I knew, knew!, that there was something that made the video worthwhile even if you didn't like the rest of it - the girl with the Eyes.... So I was just watching it, and it kept going and going and there was no girl with the Eyes. And then, there she is. For two seconds right at 3:51 or so. The Eyes. Those must have been some affecting eyes that they stick with me 19 years later.

***Last bit of nostalgia. The Eyes remind me of Bruce Springsteen. I was never a Bruce fan at the time, even though he was huge. But I liked Dancing in the Dark alright. And the reason was the woman who is pulled up on stage with him at the end to dance. I think most people know now that that actress, as it turns out, is Courtney Cox.

2 comments:

Laser said...

shots of Springsteen dancin in the dark...www.foryoubruce.com

Sammy Jankis said...

Really dude? The eyes? I mean, she must have made SOME impression on you. Her total screen time was closer to 0.4 seconds than 2 seconds. And the eyeliner? That's real old school.