Tuesday, January 09, 2007

And we're off! (paca)

Today starts semester number... 6 of the old doctorate. In about 10 minutes I'm headed off to Elementary Probability Theory to see if they kick me out for not knowing enough calculus. The big challenge at the beginning of every semester for me is always not signing up for too much. Despite longingly reading the Korean 101 textbook last night, I managed to make myself not go to the class this morning. The next few challenges are Computation Intelligence, Computer Vision, and French for Reading. Will I audit? Will I take? We will see. I don't need any of them, but they are so cool! Then finally tomorrow we have the other certain class which is about using eyetracking techniques for psycholinguistic experiments. While all of these classes are interesting and useful, it is more useful to me in life to be doing comps and dissertation proposals. Eye on the prize. Eye on the prize. Eye on the prize. I must repeat that over and over today.

Probability, here we come.

1 comment:

bunnygirl said...

Hey, I took French reading! Little blue paperback book, right?

Ours was called Reading French for Non-Majors. I took it so I could read primary sources for my Senior Honors Thesis and it was sooooo easy! But I took it with a bunch of snooty Creative Writing MFA candidates and it's a miracle I didn't end up arrested on a murder charge.

Man, those creative writing types think a lot of themselves. I had to bite my tongue bloody to keep from pointing out that there are NO great writers with creative writing degrees. For future creative writing profs at community colleges, they sure had fancy attitudes!

Good luck with the class. If you see a Creative Writing MFA candidate... step on her foot!