Thursday, January 04, 2007

Memed - book quote (paca)

Bunnygirl was just tagged to do a meme with the following instructions:

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Name the book & the author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
5. Tag three more folks.

And while I was not tagged, I'm going to do it anyway.

Now, unfortunately for all of you, the book sitting next to me was "An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing: Fifth Edition" by Brian C.J. Moore. And my quote is the following:

"Since, on any given trial, some value of x must occur, the total area under the curve is equal to 1. Consider the situation where an observer is given a series of trials, on some of which a signal is present and on some of which it is absent. To describe this situation two probability density functions must be specified; one describes the distribution of values of x when no signal is present (this is often denoted by f(x)N, the suffix N referring to the "noise," either external or neural, which gives rise to this distribution), and the other describes the distribution of values of x when a signal does occur (often denoted f(x)SN)."

That's not too exciting, really. So I grabbed the book under it called Music and Memory, but that one turned out to be about event fusion in echoic memory. Then I was going to run off to find a book with a good quote, dammit! But I think that runs against the whole idea of the meme. However, by luck I was called into the bathroom to take over B potty duty (things you needed to know), and there I randomly found on the counter next to me "Only a Duke Will Do" by Sabrina Jeffries. And nowwww we have:

"You've been a fever in my blood for years. So I mean to have you. Lie to yourself and to me all you like, but in the end, you will be mine."

It's too bad we didn't start nearer the bottom of page 123 where "his tongue was doing things to her nipple that dragged a strangled cry from her throat." And in case anyone is wondering on page 124, we learn that she tastes like nectar.

Now, let's see if we can combine the two items into a new work "Only the Psychology of Hearing Will Do:Coc-lear Edition."

Ahem.

"You've been a fever in my blood for years. To describe this situation, two probability density distributions are required. Since on any given trial, a nipple will be revealed, the area under the curved bosom will always have a value of 'sweaty'. One distribution will model the times in which a tongue is present upon the nipple (often denoted as f(x)SC, where SC stands for 'strangled cry') and the other distribution models the times when no mouth is present upon the bosom (denoted as f(x)DH with DH standing for Dog House)."

pacapaca

1 comment:

bunnygirl said...

You are very strange. But at least you didn't try to merge the romance outtake with my quote about potato-washing primates. That could've turned x-rated.