Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's time to go back to Greenbow, ALABAMA! (paca)

I just noticed a typo in my working paper, which was the following:

The framework developed here is routed in the fundamental notion, since at least Lashley 1951, that producing and understanding language involves mapping between a hierarchical representation of meaning and a linear sequence of symbols.

That typo pisses me off. Routed? I stared and stared at that. What did I mean when I typed that something was "routed in a fundamental notion?" Ohhhhhhh! Rooted! It's rooted in the notion. So why does that typo make me mad? Because in my part of the South, the word "route" is pronounced like "rowt". It's "rowt 1" not "root 1" in pronunciation. But apparently, I've lived in other parts of the world so long now that temporarily I thought that "route" and "root" were synonyms such that I made the typo - just like people confuse "there" and "their" because they sound the same. Grrrr... I'm not a Southerner anymore.

1 comment:

Sammy Jankis said...

Nice entry title. In totally useless news, it looks like Forrest Gump 2 (the movie) is finally making its way out of development hell and may be coming to a theater near you in the next 24 months, which with inflation means you should only be paying about $11.50 per person to see it. I'm not sure the world needs or is ready for this. And one rumor I've read reports that Forrest gets tangle up in a low speed chase involving a white Ford Bronco. Ugh! The movie supposedly chronicles Gump as a single father through the 80's and early 90's as he stumbles into a variety of historical events.