Friday, April 13, 2007

Bill Richardson (paca)

As most people can guess from my blogging, I typically vote Democratic. Every once in a while I'd vote Republican, mostly in local races, but Democrat was and is the default position. (Though I've been planning to write a "am I a closet Republican?" post that I haven't gotten to yet.)

Anyway, I've been vaguely weighing the Democratic presidential candidates, but I haven't reached a conclusion yet. One person who used to be way in the back of my mind is Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico. But, while all the other candidates are largely just campaigning, Gov. Richardson just left North Korea where he's been negotiating the shut down of the nuclear reactors. That gets my attention. And so, I did a tiny bit of reading about him today. I've always known that he is the candidate with the most national experience, but I never knew exactly what it was. Before I spill the beans, though, let's list some of the biggest issues facing the U.S. today.

1) EFFECTIVELY using diplomacy to lessen tensions in the world, particularly with Iran and North Korea.
2) Finding a political solution to Iraq's issues as that's the only thing that can be permanent. Even if our military surge worked perfectly (and I so wish it was), we have to leave one day.
3) The U.S.'s use of energy, both to lessen our dependence on foreign oil and to lessen our impact on the environment.
4) Immigration. What to do with the 11-20 million illegal immigrants who are here and how to change our immigration policy to be more in line with market demand.
5) The debt that the federal govt is passing on to our children.

There are others, of course, but these have to be top 10 at least.

Now, let's match them to Richardson's resume.

1) He's a solid enough diplomat that, even while a Democratic governor and presidential candidate, he's been sent to Sudan and North Korea, even at the request of Bush and Rice.
2) He was previously Ambassador to the U.N. He spent some years precisely trying to negotiate political settlements.
3) He was formerly energy secretary, so he certainly know the issues involved with this.
4) He's the governor of New Mexico, and so has had to work on immigration issues daily. Moreover, he's a child of an American father and Mexican mother, born in California, spent a childhood in Mexico City, before moving back to the U.S. for high school.
5) New Mexico is currently running a balanced budget, even with increased education spending and a cut in taxes.


My vote's not settled yet, but Richardson just moved into my top two for now.

3 comments:

liberaltruth said...

HI there! I just wanted to stop by and say hi, since I got a google alert about your blog. I am a blogger too, with three blogs, but also run a grassroots website supporting Bill Richardson's campaign called www.richardsonbringshope.com. I hope you will stop by, we have EVERYTHING about him, including bio, multimedia, and great articles and speeches. It is not officially affiliated with the campaign, but my friends and I just believe in him so strongly we are out there beating the drum! I hope it helps you, and your readers, join our camp!

Great blog, paca....

Cara

December Quinn said...

Hmmm, definitely one to keep an eye on...

pacatrue said...

Same here. I have a habit of supporting uncharismatic experienced people for president. They don't win.