Thursday, May 24, 2007

Got the Movie Jonez? (paca)

I'm not sure what my title means.

If you've hung around writing forums at all, you probably already know about NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. It's a group in which authors sign up to vomit out a 50,000 word novel over the month of November. The emphasis is on quantity not quality. Just spew out 50,000 words and worry about the edits in December. (With my use of the words vomit and spew, I'm guessing the idea seems particularly unattractive right now.)

It looks like people have gotten the same thing off the ground now with ScriptFrenzy.com in which your job is to write a 20,000 word screenplay over the month of June. Again, the goal is just to get it out of your head and into a computer. (I write by hand in first draft, but they can't certify hand-written pages.) There's no real contest and they don't particularly have ways to get your script in front of people who buy scripts. Instead, it's kind of like a support group. Nine thousand people so far have signed up to churn something out, and you can just feel part of the throng doing this, as well as read the bulletin boards and talk to people about the problems you are hitting, etc.

So I hereby encourage people to think of it, even if you haven't particularly been a writer in the past. Sammy Jankis, I'm looking at you - movie buff and theater person.

I haven't contemplated June enough to know yet whether I'm going to give it a whirl. Perhaps not. But yell if you do so.

And hat tip to Writtenwyrrd for the link.

2 comments:

Sammy Jankis said...

Sounds fun, unfortunately June is a super busy work time for me so I can't participate.

Yes, I'm a state worker and I only participate in extracurricular activities if they can be done during work hours.

writtenwyrdd said...

I'm also a govt worker, and I do the same. But I have a job where I sit and wait for something to happen, so I read too many blogs!

I like the idea of writing a script, but since I have zero intention of trying to polish or market one, I'll stick to prose for my own self flagellation.