Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

This post is for my mother. Here in the Paca residence, we will be making strawberry crepes for N. Since you are in Morocco, I cannot do the same for you, so here is a picture of strawberry crepes that will have to suffice.



And you, dear mother, are probably thinking, "well, it's good that I am not there to eat them, since I'm allergic to strawberries."

And I will say, "Omigod, I almost forgot that! I'm going to kill my own mother on accident on Mother's Day!" I mean, I may not always be the best son, but, wow, that would be taking it to a whole nother level.

And you will say, "But you did remember. You remember these sorts of things at the last minute. I know that about you, because I gave birth to you over 33 years ago."

And I will say, "You and I don't really speak like this, but it's fun to write in this manner, and you are indeed correct that I do things at the last minute."

And you would then say, "That would drive me crazy, but we are just two different people."

And I would say, "Yes, this is true. But we are very similar as well. I don't stand in front of the stove like you do at night, but I do often worry that I haven't turned it off and will go back inside to check when I'm halfway towards the car. I sometimes call out the wrong name for people I know quite well. 'N, I mean paca, I mean B, what are you doing?' And you ended up in business and me in linguistics, but I seem to be headed towards being a prof."

And you would say, "This is true."

And I would then start to say something like, "one never appreciates their own parents until they become one," and I think I read that today or yesterday somewhere. But then I'd stop and think, "no, that's not quite right." Children can appreciate all that their parents did even as children, but they don't understand it usually.

I was speaking with another blogger person over a year ago talking about the importance of children in their parent's lives, and I realized how categorically different being a parent is from most of life's other pursuits, even though those pursuits are often worthwhile too. Most parents would sacrifice their very lives for their child. Oh, many of us aren't strong enough to do it, but most of us think we should if the circumstances demand it. I can't say that about being a linguistics prof or going to Mongolia or learning to speak another language. But I think most parents feel the same. There are few things in life that take on so much value to us.



And you might then say, "That's a very noble sentiment, but you are still trying to cook strawberries for me on Mother's Day and I can't eat them."

And I would say, "ah, touché," because we often speak in just such a manner. "However, dear mother, I do recall in the little perturbations of my mind that you used to visit The Magic Pan in the Houston Galleria, which serves crepes, and so I know you like crepes. Therefore, I'll just dump these little allergy fests that I first tried to pawn off on you into the garbage, get out the nutella, melt a little chocolate, and voila!"



Une crepe pour une mere superbe! Bon appetit, madame! Je t'aime tous les jours.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

okay, you are now the best child she has, i sent an ecard and called her, and she absolutely loved this post, so way to go!! as mom would say, "and the gold star goes to hunter"

u know, david actally gave me once a whole thing of gold stars, i keep it with me always,

tata 4 now

Killer Llama said...

Paca, this is a wonderful bit of writing.

pacatrue said...

You have gold stars, C? That's killer.

And thanks, killer llama!