Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Good news, bad news redux (Llama)

First the bad news. I wrote earlier about an infection in my index finger. Well, it never improved, but only grew worse. Eventually the entire top third of my finger was red and swollen, and touching it was very painful. A few days earlier I had asked Mike (who is an MD) over the phone what I should do, and he recommended some antibiotics. I immediately started on them, but after 3 days and the thing just got worse and worse I decided to go to the hospital.

The doctor said that there was so much puss built up in there that the antibiotics couldn't work. He then proceeded to remove a small slice of the fingernail to allow it to drain. He gave me some new antibiotics to take and told me to return in 10 days for a follow-up. That was Sunday at about 1:00 PM.

By Sunday night at about 8:00 I noticed that my arm was sore. I figured it was residual pain left over from the trauma of the scalpels and needles from earlier in the day, or possibly a sign that the new antibiotics were working. But then by about 10:00 it was easy to see that the soreness I felt was very localized and was also visible as a red rash that twists from my finger, all the way up my arm, and into my arm pit. Worried that anything that led up my arm and possibly into my heart or my brain was a bad thing, I decided to go back to the hospital. Due to the lateness of the hour, it had to be the emergency room.

The nurses at first thought it was an allergic reaction, but the doctor on call soon straightened them out. The infection has apparently spread from my finger up through my lymphatic system. This is great cause for alarm if left untreated. They gave me two large injections of a third antibiotic and eventually sent me on my way. I'm currently still taking the originally prescribed antibiotic, cleaning and binding my wound every day, and waiting till end of day tomorrow to see if there is any improvement.

So that's the bad news. Now the good news, which is completely unrelated to the bad. This month, in fact about 15 minutes ago, I paid off the last of my credit card debt. Hooray! I've been carrying that burden since NYC (2001) and am thrilled to have it gone at last. Now I just have to stop myself from doing it again :)

Thupt

4 comments:

Mamaebeth said...

congrats on paying off the debt.

eek! hope you're infection clears up.

Anonymous said...

i really hope the infection gets better and i feel ur joy in paying off things, last week i just paid off the last thing in collection myself! go us!!

J said...

Wow. I'm so glad you went to the emergency room and didn't put that off.

And congrats on getting out of cc debt. I'm jealous.

Lonely Coyote said...

*shakes his head* bad little llama... what antibiotic are you taking? How swollen were your fingers? Are we talking just a little swollen, or like roll of quarter sized swollen? Take care of yourself ok, since some day I'm gonna go over there and visit you, and I'd hate to have to pay for a place to stay.